1. So why is this little holiday so, well, little? Honestly if you ask me they can take one week of July and toss it in here so that all can have a bit of a rest before the busy 4th term starts
2. Holidays are made of fun, rest.... and a visit to the Emergency room. On Monday night Mr C dashed open hi skin just above his eye and we spent Monday evening waiting for his 4 stitches to fix it. He was very brave indeed. And all that waiting was great to help me complete reading my book before Tuesday nights' Bookclub.
3. Speaking of Bookclub - it is always great but Tuesday night was really special as I cooked the most fantastic meal - inspired by the fantastic Afrikaans movie the two of us saw on Saturday "Dis Koue kos Skat". The movie is like South Africa's Tortilla soup of Like water for Chocolate - you can literally smell and taste the wonderful food prepared. It has English subtitles and is such a great movie - go see it! She treated us to chicken risotto, flash fried asparagus and artichoke salad. I can still taste that yummyness.
4. Due to no 2 above I could not take the kids, each with a friend, on our planned much anticipated Zambibush fun day (it's a water park with slides). I was a bit at a loss as what to do with 6 kids that will not have me bankrupt, an eye busted open again or involve water. But we settled on a picnic at Rietvlei dam. It was a great day out -we saw so many rhinos and eland - and lots of other animals. All the rhinos had their horns removed so it was quite odd to see them like that but I guess we will have to get used to it. The kids had such fun climbing trees and playing at the picnic spot that I even had the chance to read a bit. It was a great (but tiring) day.
5. We have never had the luxury of a grandparent or aunts or uncles to look after the kids for a night or so. But now that the kids are older and my mom is more mobile than she has been in the last 3 years, staying over with Oumie is now an option. The kids slept over on Wednesday night and spent the whole of Thursday with her . It was a huge success and a lot of fun for them and gran. Hunter and I had such a lovely (very quiet without the kids) evening at home - I can see us doing this more often in future.
With that - I hope you have a great weekend> What is your five for Friday?