Yikes guys, it's been a very busy week. My apologies, I am so behind on reading your blogs and commenting.
We attend a church with a very large congregation - what is know here as a Makro congregation. Due to that we have several services on a Sunday and we attend what is known as the family service, designed for families with children under 13. The service is in simple language, and is co-led by a preacher and a puppet that "speaks" for the children and involves lots of music and the chance for the little ones to get up on the stage and sing and do movements on the music. This past Sunday the subject for all the services was communication in the family, and we were given the 5 phrases/ words that should never be used in a family as it stops communication. We have made this a motto for our home.
So, for 5 things Friday, never use the following in your home:
1. You always do this or that - for instance, you always let your toys lie around, or you are always late.
2. You never do this or that - you never wash the dishes, etc.
3. Why can't you? Why can't you make the coffee for a change? An instant accusation.
4. Just leave it!/ Just forget about it! When you are failing to make another member of the family understand what you are trying to explain. Persist and talk until you understand.
5. Because I say so! Not a good enough reason for anything. Try to explain, always. This breeds understanding and communication in the family.