Wednesday 20 February 2013

Just doing the best you can

As you guys know this year had already chewed us up and spit us out on the other side. In more than one way. I have been sick, Hunter's work is very tough at the moment, Mr L has not adapted well to school and being away from Mr C. We are a little rough around the edges - tired and slightly bleary eyed. What I also have not told you is that we have two boys in OT at the moment - Mr L who will possibly still be for a long time, and Mr C who we had evaluated at the end of last year. His teacher noted that he was very slow with work but a meticulous planner. It turns out he also has a touch of low muscle tone (only in the upper body) and a bit of a brain integration issue. He is left footed, left eyed but right handed.(But I am ambidextrous so it should not be a surprise). It should not be  along course of OT but we know that the sooner we do it the better the result will be.

We have read many accounts of how horse riding therapy benefits children with SID/SPD - in fact, all children seem to benefit in some way or another. It is also indecated for brain integration issues. It even has a positive influence on eye muscle movement. So Hunter went along and found stables that provide this, managed to get a time slot we can manage on a Saturday and sent on their OT reports to the instructor. On Saturday morning they started - to say they liked it is an understatement - they loved it. Yes, it is costing us a small fortune and yes, we will certainly not be able to not let A not ride later (at the moment her Saturday mornings are filled with ballet practice for their concert).But we are doing it and placing high hopes on it. It may be just co incidence but this weekend and this week is by far our best yet this year with Mr L. I am feeling way more positive. Yes, we are just doing the very best we can for them right now. In the meantime, I am loving the smell of the stables, the contact with the horses. The joy of sharing their excitement.



And who can resist a little donkey face? Gosh he is so cute.

19 comments:

  1. Ah such great pics of your boys on their ponies! One of the yards I rode at when I was still at school also did OT lessons. It was amazing to see the improvement from one lesson to the next.

    I'm curious where the yard is? Here in PTA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horseriding is an excellent 'prescription' for a variety of kiddy problems, this i know for sure. Am so thrilled that they enjoyed it, and that this week is turning out to be a better one for you.

    Seems like there are a few of us who have had a tough start to the year. Bleugh :(

    It WILL get better.

    Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Animals are amazing creatures. We totally under estimate the impact they can have on our lives.

    Isn't that donkey gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pics - imagine the new photo opportunities :) :)

    And what??? how do you determine left-eyed? I am very much a right-handed person but I throw and catch with my left hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The OT did it - but google - their a quite a few tests to determine. My family is full of lefties and not straight out right handed/eyed people so it's no surprise really.

      Delete
    2. And at the moment I will hang back with photos of them specifically - it is very important that they concentrate and the camera even far can be a distraction

      Delete
  5. Yes, you are giving them the very best you can. I love the donkey pic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know horse riding had that benefit. I love horses! I wouldn't mind letting Nicola do something similar when she's a bit older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope this horse riding will show a benefit to your two sons. Animals over all have such a great stimulating effect on kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a horse rider, was all the way from childhood into young adulthood and it is an amazing activity, it did wonders for my confidence and strength.
    Long may they continue to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are doing an amazing job

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry you've had such a rough start to the year, Cat. I can only imagine, among many other things, it's so hard to begin to "catch up" with "normal" with one thing on top of another.

    I love that you all had such a great experience at the stables! I hope it continues to be a source of great fun and relief for you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That donkey is so cute. I would love to have Mini in therapeutic riding, but I can't even begin to afford it. I hope that it is helpful and that things start to ease up soon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that's awesome! Gem is also starting horse riding next term:-)
    Glad that your week is better, it does start to take a bit of strain when things are stressfull all the time. It will def get better:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope things are going more smoothly now. I can empathize with having the boys split up being hard on them.

    Both of our boys did some therapeutic horseback riding for about a year - it is a healing activity for sure!! Glad you got connected for this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. tough times. and yes, we as parents will do whatever it takes to make sure our kids get the best shot at a good life. hope you and H get a moment to regroup and rest this weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such wonderful parents and I pray God continues to lead you right and provide for all your needs. Love the pictures of the boys on their horses, the caps are so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  16. We had Daniel tested when he went to high school for study methods.
    He is completely right brained which doesn't work well in normal school systems. Also he is not left-handed which means the message goes from the right side of the brain to the left hand and then has to be rerouted to the right hand. I never knew any of this. With different study methods his marks shot up. Amazing how complicated the brain is. Good luck with your boys. Daniel is 14 now and it does get easier as they get older.

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?