I hate you dear Ackermans because:
- Your stores smell. I am smell sensitive and I can tell you, they smell. All of them.
- You are totally overpriced for claiming that you are a budget retailer. I looked for PJ's for the boys this year - you offered one set for R110, cheapest I could find was R99 - gosh, at Woollies I can get two sets for R 160.
- Your tracksuits make those pesky little balls after one wash only! Kid you not!
- L's one top's zip broke after 3 uses - not on!
- Your younger girls range end at age 7 - my Princess, although age 6 wears size 7-8 clothes. Your offering for that age group is rather pathetic, bordering on sexy. Black and studs etc. She wants pink and flowers and Hello Kitty.
- To return something is like extracting a tooth - and you are always made felt as asking too much to exchange anything.
- When you return or exchange something or whenever a supervisor is called, they do not greet you, or meet your eyes. They grumpily just talk rather irritated to the cashier, in a language you do nto understand. It's rude. Ok.
Pick 'n Pay:
I love you Pick 'n Pay because:
- You have Smart shopper cards and give me Vitality points and cash back on my Vitality card.
- You exchanged and old lady's broken pack of biscuits the other day. I though that was rather cool of you as she as clearly eaten a few already.
- You have those cute girl dress and pants sets - the Princess love those and they got to age 13!
- You often have nice budget items for me to buy - I bought a great cardi there the other day and some super comfy R30 slippers this weekend.
- Your cashiers are often friendly and greet one. Talk to the kids and joke with them.Makes it all a bit more pleasant.
- Your Pick n Pay choice range is great quality.
- You give that price/gram or price/item details on your shelves. For that, I love you most.
- It was such a mission to exchange a item of clothing that was too small. In fact I think you more easily replaced the old lady next to me's biscuits.
- You do not have those nice "car" trolleys in all your shops. I need them - the easiest way for me to shop with 3 kids.
- Your no name range is really no the cheapest always.
I actually do not often shop at Edgars, but if I do not find something for the kids at the usual haunts I go there. I also have a cash card where I get points at CNA too and spend at Edgars. For myself, I buy little there because I do not really like the style of their clothes.
I love you Edgars because:
- You often have something I do not find somewhere else.
- Your supervisors always greet the customer with a smile and expalin what they do if they need to be called.
- You exchange without asking questions - you once exchanged a top that shrank in the first wash without a tag or anything. No questions.
- You stock great perfumes at good prices.
- You always stock good standard pants in classic styles.
- It is never fast or easy to use cash back vouchers and a supervisor always have to be called.
I hate you PEP because:
- Your stores also smell. Nauseatingly so.
- Your tracksuits make those little fur balls after the first wash.
- The zips on your tops fail - and soon. I am buying nothing with a zip from you ever again.
- You have nothing for girls 7 and over. And it looks like the same for boys.
- Your cashiers are friendly.
- You are truly well priced.
I hate you Truworths because:
- You let your cashiers always try to convince a customer that they need a card. I do not have clothes cards - I do not work that way. I do not always have to defend my position at your tills.
- You seriously have the most scratchy labels in the entire industry . If I buy something from you I have to unsew the labels and make sure no bit of thread is left. (Ok I am tactle sensitive)
- You really are overpriced - if I compare you with more boutique like stores you are in the same price category and really not exclusive at all.
- You have nice evening style stuff year round - a life saver at times.
- You have Ginger Mary - although in all honesty the label has gone down-hill.
I love you Woolworths because:
- You never have an issue to exchange anything.
- Your pretty younger girls clothes go to age 9 in some instances. Yeah!
- You always have something for me (clothes wise) that I love.
- You always stock pantihose, and mutlipacks of panties.
- You always have good, work type stuff for Hunter.
- Although some of your ranges are more expensive, some of the kids clothes is just as well prices as say, Ackermans, and the quality is far superior.
- I love those two packs of whatever - PJ's, track suit pants, T-shirts.
- You always have Disney Princess stuff, and Hello Kitty stuff to fill my Princess' heart with joy.
- Not all your boys stuff is Ben 10 or Bakugun. There is pretty ordinary stuff too.
- Your food is always good quality. And you do quality checks all the time.
- Your lightly smoked snoek must be one of the best kept secrets ever - well priced (same as frozen at Picn N Pay) and never frozen, a great 15 minute meal that everybody loves.
- Your Woolworths shopper card has discounts etc - great guys!
- Those dinner for 4 under..... promotions. Great stuff.
- It always takes too long to exchange something - long long queues.
- You do not have 10 items or less, fast tills anymore. So lunch time buys with a few items is not on anymore because you wait so long behind people with trolleys. Get those back and I will be a happy camper.
I still have lots to say about both Dischem and Clicks - oh yes and Checkers and Spar, but let's just leave that for a part 2 post as the ones above is mostly clothing (and a bit food) orientated.
So what do you think about our retailers and which do you love or hate? Do you agree or disagree with me?