Wednesday 8 August 2012

It never rains but it snows!

Seeing random grown ups yesterday, laughing, dancing and standing with their tongs stuck out to catch the snow was priceless. In the space of seconds we all became kids again. The novelty of snow turned us all into a younger, more carefree version of ourselves. Oh for a snow day, however light it was. My kids all could not contain their breathless enthusiasm describing how they played in the snow, ran around and had fun.

To explain to those not familiar with our normal weather patterns - Pretoria has one of the most moderate Winter climates with normal temperatures between 3 and 21 degrees C . It snows once in about 100 years ( more often in neighboring Johannesburg and surrounds) . The last time it snowed here was back in 1920. And although at my office it was not much, near our home and at the schools the grass had a good thin snow covering. I am so glad all 3 kids got to experience it!

17 comments:

  1. It was so funny to witness how we all as adults, became children again with the snow falling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! My daughter missed it completely - there was none at her school. If it ever snows like that again I'm going to fetch her and take her where we can play in it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As gorgeous as it is it is freezing and i'm tired of it now!

    Our snow has melted but our temps are still be 5.

    Enough of winter already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was such a lovely, memorable day. Everyone I saw had a smile on their face.

    My kids loved the snow and were so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Gemma would of loved to experience that, so glad your children did!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the thought of that! We usually get snow a few times a year, but even that is enough to make most everyone lighthearted. Isn't it great to enjoy such a simple pleasure? So glad you all got to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful!!! Guess you might now see it again then?? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am so jealous! How fantastic that you all got to enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was awsome - I wished it could have snowed more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I wish we had a few snowflakes right about now. We're in the 100's today. HOT HOT HOT!

    I've missed blogging and was so happy to see your comment! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having serious snow FOMO :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm guessing it was not a very productive day around here. But life's too short not to have fun. I've been through a few blizzards and snow storms but when you are in places where it snows once in a very very looooooong time, it's so much fun and I had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a treat!! Snow is a regular thing here in our climate but there is still usually some excitement for the first snow of each season. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How special! I once took Jake on a winter holiday and now I long for snow. I love snowflakes and how different they all are!! So glad you all got to enjoy it, how novel!

    Sue X

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?