Thursday 7 March 2013

It was granny's birthday on Friday


Both the grandmothers has often told me that all they actually want for any gift is some form of photos of the kids. Hence we have done calenders, photo books, handmade canvasses, printed water bottles, handbags etc. This year I hit a bit of an inspiration. One of the guys in the office went past the Consol shop the other day and I asked him to pick up a few Solar jars for me (nope, I got nothing from Consol for this - this post is not sponsored in any way - wish they would send me a few but alas ). Then I added a simple little something to it to make it a wow gift.

Step 1: Buy a Solar jar for R130 (Also available at Pick n Pay for about R60 more per jar)

 Step 2 : Compile photos into one image (9 x 22cm works perfectly) I used Photoshop
 Step 3 : Print on tracing paper or bumf (thin transparentish paper)
 Step 4: Paste two edges together with sellotape and insert into jar. You can also add flowers or silk flower, beads, whatever into another jar.

 Step 5: See granny smile astonished about a lovely photo gift of her grand kids and an emergency light in one.
 I love these jars - I think they are such a clever idea. So I would like to know about some of your clever photo style gifts.

13 comments:

  1. I made these lamps (in the link) as a Christmas gift for both the grannies last Christmas. They loved them. I used Velum as the paper as it was a bit more sturdy than tracing paper, which I needed for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to add, I even had their photo in the Ideas Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. Wonder if I can find those jars in the States? Off to look. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an ingenious gift. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good idea! Wish we had a consol shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea. we received solar jars at a work thing last year - it is buried DEEEp in my cupboard. Maybe I should do this and then at least it will be out....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make a calendar for my and Joel's parents every year for Christmas. I think if I ever stopped, I'd be in big trouble with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and a very personalised gift. I made personalised Christmas wrapping paper from pictures I took at the garden of light. Even if I say so myself I was very pleased with the result

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's just gorgeous - what a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?