Friday 25 July 2014

Let's talk famly culture

As per Wikipwdia:

Family tradition, also called Family culture, is defined as aggregate of attitudes, ideas and ideals, and environment, which a person inherits from his/her parents and ancestors.

As parents we can of course choose to continue those we grew up with, or reshape or totally change to make our own for our little family. Some of course comes with generations - one of my friends grew up in a family of famous rowers - recently 4 members completed the Berg river canoe marathon - and some were married into the family and not born into it. It's their tradition. It comes natural. Hand in hand goes values - what the culture is often also encompass the values of the family to some extend.

That's why it made me so totally happy when the 3 kids eagerly joined in for a walk on the farm on what is arguably the coldest day of the year. We had a hike in 5 degrees C and they all enjoyed it so much. All dressed warmly with beanies and scarves - but walking and running with joy. Discovering little finds in nature along the way - learning about rocks, feathers and anthills. I am not even talking about the puppies - Rufus was totally out of his skin to have so much space to run around in. Later the week we saw it again - kids splashing in the water in icy weather - hiking over Sardinia bay's dunes with wind howling. And if you ask them if they want to do it again, the enthusiasm blows me away.


I love that our kids love nature, are not scared to exercise, have guts and determination to push through and enjoy it all in the process. Because that is the culture we worked towards - love for nature, love for God, being inquisitive and learn and doing our best while enjoying life.

And while what we choose and what you may choose differ I think it's important to at least have a thought about this and about what these values or the culture may install in our children.

So have you ever thought about this and what's your family culture?

7 comments:

  1. Nice post! Family culture to me is having a God fearing family I believe in the saying the family that prays together stats together! And of course doing things we love as a family unit every now and then

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad this worked out well for you! I really try and do a lot of outdoor stuff with Nicky - kicking a ball, playing on his jungle gym. Doing stuff together also is nice like going to the Wimpy. I think we're not the most healthy but at least we have fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lekker post! Our family culture comes from previous generations and that is instilling the Christian belief in our children. That's non negotiable in our home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree about the culture. We also try to get Little Missy out in nature, camping and hiking with her!

    Stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happens whether you plan it or not. We do spending a lot of family time, balitto vacations, and getting out often...though wide open spaces aren't really in ours. Not because I don't want to, but it's not my family's thing and it's a bit daunting doing that on my own with N.

    However next year we're joining the Voortrekkers and hopefully N will love that as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pics on this post!

    Hmmmm, I want to have an active family culture. We normally go for walks every weekend and I want my kids to enjoy the outdoors. Unfortunately cos it's been so cold and Gemma has been sick we've been rather sedentary of late and it is actually annoying the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. I love hearing about your family and your ideas and ideals - its awesome.

    I am also totes in love with the photos.

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?