Monday 27 June 2011

Tomorrow

A while ago I said to a friend that it feels really weird to say that " I am taking my 6 year old daughter to see a plastic surgeon tomorrow." Well tomorrow, she is scheduled for plastic surgery - more precisely Otoplasty - correction and re-shaping of the ears.

Although I have no doubt that we are doing the right thing for the right reasons, I have the usual mom's stress of a fluttering tummy, anxiety at my child's safety and worry for her comfort after. I know that it is a rather long procedure (one and a half hours) and rather painful after, but I also know that we will be saving her a heap om emotional pain later in life. We are also spending a small fortune on it (in cash - no medical aid will pay for it) but know that we will possibly save a small fortune is psychologists fees later.

The simple truth is that kids are cruel - and will find something to single a child out and tease her. With girls, this very often is ears. I am no Botox mom, I just want my child to grow up being as "normal" looking as possible. We are not doing this so that she can participate in beauty pageants or anything like that - it is not what our family is about.

So please, if I can ask your prayers for us all tomorrow. I am not a lover of anaesthetic at all, so my first stress is always about that. I know we will be fine, but support is always welcome. Most of all because we seem to have lost my mom's support over the issue. But that is a story for another day. At least my MIL is flying up from PE on Thursday to visit and support our little Princess.

26 comments:

  1. Ooh good luck to you guys. I also dont like lirrlies going under anasthesia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh good luck to you guys. I also dont like lirrlies going under anasthesia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already read the post-op post so I know it went well. I can only imagine the worry beforehand. Jacob had some surgery last year that was necessary, although very minor. I was soooo scared. Kids are so resilient though. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure she is going to thank you years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @c122274b09dfa9609ef0456b24d10e57  Sommer net bakore - en die vorm en grootte is ook verander. Sy het basies die ore vna 'n man gehad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @9d02a2fdd611e62d563994b71a94e55f  Good on them for doing it for a boy. Funny enough, both our boys have pretty little ears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @65113095ee578a6a63fc5032f3c8943d  She tends to wear the hair loose over the ears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope everything goes (has gone) well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope everything goes (has gone) well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ag no, i see my comment didnt save :-( 
    Hope it all went well....my hubby had the same op done when he was little. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course I will be thinking of you! When you have time, can you explain what it is about her ears that needed to be corrected?
    x
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrea @ The Mays Twins22 September 2011 at 15:16

    Many thoughts and prayers sent your way!! You both are awesome parents!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cat, will most assuredly say a prayer for lovely Little Miss and her Mama tomorrow. Best and peace. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of you!  I hope the appointment goes well and I have no doubt you are doing the right thing for your little girl xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thumbs! I will be thinking of you!Anesthetics stresses me out big-tme as well! I did not even notice the ears in all of the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking of all of you and especially The Princess. Sterkte.xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking of you guys and especially your little Princess. 

    ReplyDelete
  18. You will all be in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You guys are very good about this and so is your fantastic doc! And yay for earrings afterward :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Luck.  I hope things go well and that the pain is minimal:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @e0e489fc4ec6017f073ed0a9e8f2241a  She has no idea why - the whole point is to never let her think (now) that her ears were unattrctive - to avoid a knock to the self esteem. When she is older we will show her and tell her. She just know that we are fixing something that should be fixed - and looking forward to ahving earrings put it later.

    The doc is brilliant - her refers to "maak reg" - correcting. He says, We will correct this, and fix this. Very sensitve about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck and I think it's a great thing you two are doing for your daughter. 

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, kids can be cruel and it sounds like you really thought about this a lot.  Good luck and I hope her recovery is as easy as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Knowing you, this decision probably took lots of deliberation and thought. I would love to hear more. What does A think?> Does she understand why she's having the op?

    All the very best for tomorrow and yes, of course, I'll pray.

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?