Thursday 26 May 2016

So what do you do with your evenings?

Odd question? I think not. Please do not tell me you are watching series and catching up on Game of Thrones. Why do I specifically single out Game of Thrones? Well it is just the current office obsession around here. Every now and again they come and go. It used to be Gosworth park, Grey's anatomy, CSI, the Mentalist, The Blacklist, Homeland, The Dome- you name it.

The point is not really that. The point is - where do you get the time? I am honestly asking myself at the moment what on earth is happening to my evenings. Admittedly I would personally rather read a book than watch TV but that's besides the point. For the last two weeks I did not read three pages before falling asleep. I am just tired. Ideally I want to be in bed by 10 but seldom achieve that. I am also not a Winter person so getting into bed earlier is a much better option than staying up. A bit like a mini hibernation.

There has been winter cupboard organization and decluttering - which did make me extremely happy. And looking through piles of old tests and notes and finding the best ones to copy for A's exams - starting on Monday. The usual washing up, lunch boxes and cooking for tomorrow night - but Hunter is a champion in helping with this - some nights totally taking it over.

Oh I complain about nothing really because Monday night I cuddled with A, sick and not going to school on Tuesday and watched Survivor. Alas - it's my own management that need to improve - my own priorities to set.

I do of course have a nice pile of books waiting on my bedside table, a half finished painting, many colouring in books calling my name and a very behind Project Life album. It's more a question I guess of wanting to do too much than having too little time. Of managing what needs to happen first or what I want to happen first.

But tonight I am going to get into bed early and watch "The Fault in our Stars " - a book I hugely enjoyed but never seen the movie. Call it girl time with myself. Tonight the rest can wait. Even the books. I have set my priority. Maybe that is the answer! Setting the evenings' priority ahead of the time - then knowing exactly what to expect of it.

So tell me - what are your evenings like? I know for some I have a huge luxury in having nay time at all to myself in the evenings . And is there anyone else that have so many nice things you want to do - and do tell me what they are.


10 comments:

  1. My evening time tends to include reading - blogs, books or if I have class that week academic work, tea, watching something with J or gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evenings get crazy or are quiet depending on what is priority. It is something we figured out too. We have to do laundry and kitchen and then quick general clean up. I like to do this early evening, so by the time Honeybear does bath time, we are all ready to relax. I believe each individual needs different things, so we have alone time if we need or cuddles together if that is what the crying is about tonight. I try to take it as it comes, because trying to force a plan makes us all crabby. I love to get into bed with my book. Hubby like to watch something on TV or play a game. HB lets us know when he is tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same, same, different!
    My evenings have been busy with eldercare. Summer is coming here so the extra sunlight has done wonders for my mood. I've been watching GOT in 20 minute intervals and my PL is so behind I have yet to start 2016! We'll all catch up somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I am about in March with PL

      Delete
  4. I love my winter evenings :) I jump into bed early with TEA and my ELECTRIC blanket and I read a lot. But basically all the "work" is done by the time supper is served 6.30 - 6.45 because once I eat, I cannot drag myself to do work.

    Then some days I have spanish, some I coach, some I blog, some I do photos and definitely two nights a week (7-day week) I'm completely off the computer.

    I don't watch any TV but one night a week D and I watch things like Seinfeld, etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have a very similar dilemma: I want to do so many things,but there's only so much time left in the day. But its hardly ever watching much on the screen. Reading,yes, research, hubby and I making plans for the future, planning my next day's big targets, and blogging -that's usually my only blogging time. (When kids sleep at night)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running, taking a bath, cooking, eating and trying to stay awake until at least 9.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only time our TV is on is for Liam's movies or DH's rugby. The only series I do watch is Survivor on SABC3 and perhaps Saving with Jamie on Thursdays also on 3, but if I'm too tired I am more than happy to switch them off.
    We get home about 5ish and DH sits down with Liam to do homework whilst I prepare dinner. Then is't racing RC cars outside for about 10 minutes, bath time, a bit of TV for Liam or maybe a book and then it's light out for him at 8pm and we follow before 9. I would rather sleep than read or bake or whatever mums are supposed to be doing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our families have pretty much the same TV habits.

      Delete
  8. Babies are in bed by 19h00 so after that I will either work or we will watch and episode or two of the Goldbergs/Modern Family or something similar!

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?