Tuesday 27 December 2016

2016 - My year in books

I had such an amazing reading year - honestly it's been one of the better ones. Although I have not reviewed every book I have read I have at least reviewed the best ones. To ask me to give you "my best book of 2016" is a bit like asking me to tell you which of my 3 kids is my favorite - totally impossible and extremely unfair. So I give you the following (bilingual as books go in my little space in the computer) based on what I read this year of course, and not as the best books released this year.

Book of the year (English): I could not choose just one (or the planned 3) because there is very little to choose for me between numbers 3 and 4


1. I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes reviewed here  -spies, adventures, galore!
2. Recipe for love and murder - A tannie Maria Mystery by Sally Andrew  - reviewed here
totally unexpected and unique in every way . A great local read.
3. The husband's secret by Liane Moriarty -  reviewed here - a great book touching the issue of community responsibility and the moral question on poetic justice (or not)

and a special mention to:

The curious charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick reviewed here  - a most charming read.

Boek van die jaar (Afrikaans): By ver my moelikste keuse

 

1. Koors deur Deon Meyer - my resensie hier. Na lang oorweging moes die boek vir my wen bloot omdat Meyer gewaag het so ver uit sy gewone genre en dit so vrek goed gedoen het!
2. Offerlam/Offerande tweeluik van Chanette Paul - my kort resensie oor Offerlam hier. Ek het sopas Offerande klaar gelees en in my vakansie roetine nog nie by 'n ordentlike resensies van die tweeluik uitgekom nie (beplan wel een in die nuwe jaar) maar ek kan maklik sĂȘ dat van my heerlikste leesure hierdie jaar in Caz se geselskap plaasgevind het.
3. Die Soenoffer - Isa Konrad - my resensie hier - een van die beste sielkundige rillers wat ek nog ooit gelees het.

en 'n spesiale vermelding aan:

Oorlewingsgids vir 'n bedonnerde Diva van Sophia Kapp - my resensie hier - lees as jy
n vrou is - of selfs al is jy nie. Jy kan nie hierdie boek mis nie.

Youth/Young adult book of the year: (an Afrikaans choice)

 

'n Goeie dag vir boomklim van Jaco Jacobs - lees hier. Jaco is 'n meester en ek en my 11 jarige dogter was albei gaande oor hierdie middelkind grootword storie.

New writer discovery of the year: (English)

 

Sally Andrew - I am busy with the second Tannie Maria mystery and it is possibly even better that the first one. A new style and voice and local to boot.

Nuwe skrywer ontdekking van die jaar: (Afrikaans)


Isa Konrad - ek het nou 3 van haar boeke gelees en elkeen vreeslik geniet. Sy is 'n meester wat atmosfeer en plek skep betref.


The book I abandoned this year:

A year of Marvelous Ways by Sarah Winman -it has great reviews everywhere but I found it slow, over descriptive and very static. I loved "When God was a rabbit" also written by her but not this one.

So there you have it - my year in books. What was your best books this year and did you abandon any? Any new favorite writers?

9 comments:

  1. I should read an afrikaans book again. I wonder if I could get my hands on "die verdwyning van Mina Afrika" cause I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind reading it again. Also another one, something about a lighthouse and a girl they called pikkewyn. i remember those two being good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afrikaans het n reuse oplewing in boeke - daar is soveel lekkertes om te lees

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed that you're blogging on holidays!

    Only reason I'm at my computer is I'm fixing some stuff on my website because I have a sale going on.

    My best books are here: http://www.marciafrancois.com/blog/2016/12/19/best-books-of-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "I am Pilgrim". I find it hard to abandon books. I feel the need to read to the end. "Eat, pray, love" was one of the very few I have not been able to get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very seldom abandon books - maybe once a year or so. But I have decided that life is too short to read a bad book if there are so many great ones out there

      Delete
  4. I am pilgrim is on my tbr list. I just finished The Husband's Secret. It was really good. I also enjoyed her other book Big Little Lies a lot. Not sure if you have read it as yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it on my tbr list Terisha - I hear it's also great

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the summary I'm making a note to look for them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always like to talk books with you Sula

      Delete

So what's on your mind?