Friday 28 August 2009

July 2009 - Book no 24

"The Women" by T.C. Boyle.

Most architects have a hero, and architect that inspired them when they were students, someone that fascinates them. I have two, Le Corbusier and Frank Lloyd Wright. I was therefore so excited when I heard about this book on Frank Lloyd Wright and the women in his life and I could hardly wait to buy it and read it.

In a fiction format it provides a fascinating look into the real life person of one of the greatest and most famous architects that ever lived and the 4 woman that played a major role in his life. From his arrogance and arguably womanizing ways to is sensitive part, well hidden behind the curtain of his larger than life persona. I also learned a lot about the facts surrounding his private life and biggest projects.

The narrator is a fascinating character in his own right and keeps a lively story line. I found that I could not put this book down and although it is a long read, I really enjoyed every page. Although this is really an excellent book, I am not sure if you would enjoy it if you have no previous knowledge of Frank Lloyd Wright and his work. A great read for a limited audience.

9/10 for the interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what's on your mind?