Thursday 12 November 2009

November 2009; Book no 32



Book 32: Handle with care by Jodi Picoult
In general I enjoy Jodi Picoult's books that deal with controversial topics - like her most read "My sister's keeper" and "Nineteen minutes". This book has more than its fair share of controvercial and heart breaking topics.

The main character Willow never speaks for herself and the whole book is constructed from letters or conversations directed to Willow. This makes for interesting reading and an unique angle.

What I did find very uncomfortable, I can really find no other way to describe it, is that I really never got to like Charlotte, in a sense the hero of the book. She is portrayed in a way which evoked very little sympathy in me - maybe this is due to peronality on my side. On the other hand, I really liked sone of the other characters where the father, Sean, and the doctor, Piper attracted me immediately.

I really hated the end of this book and would have loved any other ending.

Cat's opinion : an ok Picoult - 7/10

2 comments:

  1. I just read it too. I don't think we were supposed to like Charlotte.
    I liked it I think a little more than you did, and the ending was shocking but typical Picoult!
    (I was so mad that the My Sister's Keeper movie changed the ending, I boycotted it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book over the summer and I liked it a lot. It was very hard to put down and I love a book that makes you think and question. I too could not like Charlotte, but the rest of the story was captivating.
    I am working my way thorough Picoult's list of novels and so far I have liked them all. I am now reading My Sister's keeper and from what I have heard others say, I probably will not see the movie.

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?