Wednesday 14 May 2014

Ah lets tallk books once again.

I have read 14 carefully selected books this year. One of the plusses of the shoulder surgery is that at least I am still on my target of 3 books per month. I completed the Hunger games trilogy and The Langani trilogy , read "Last letter from your lover" a good Jojo Moyes and a very thrilling Jo Nesbo,"Headhunters". But if I had to choose only 3 books as the best books so far this year it has to be:

1. The Fault in our stars by John Green  (5 stars)
 Not since Jojo Moyes heart wrenching "Me before you" has a book captured my heart and emotions like this one. On the one hand incredibly sad and on the other filled with the purest beauty storytelling can bring. The love between Hazel an Gus will stay with me forever. There are so many wonderful quotes in this book my favorite: " You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful"

2. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.  (4 and a half stars)

From the moment I met Don he charmed me with his off beat social behaviour and very sharp mind just to form the picture that yes, of course he is an Aspie! A read as charming as its main character it will keep you entranced to the very end. Favorite quote: "Gene told me the next day that I got it all wrong. But he was not in a taxi, after an evening of total sensory overload,with the most beautiful woman in the world."

3. Mad about the Boy  (Bridget Jones 3) by Heken Fielding (4 stars)


This one was just pure and utter joy and escapism for me - mixed with a tad of nostalgia. Bridget as crazy as ever over 50 and with small kids and yes, without Mark Darcy. If you are or were a Bridget fan you can not miss this one. Favorite quote: "It's a harsh world out there. The barometer of success in later life is not that they always win, but how they deal with failure."

So do tell me - have you read any of these and what has been your best reads this year?

13 comments:

  1. Fun fact - do you know you and Lynette posted at exactly the same time? :)

    I read the first two Kindle samples and was not wowed...but am a very ardent Bridget Jones fan so will download Kindle sample asap!

    I've read so many great books this year...but probably Emily Giffin's books. I read 4 in January!!! Waiting for the rest til I finish all the unfinished on my Kindle. And my new Irish authors, Pauline Lawless and Claire Allan.

    Q for you - have you read Lean in yet? (I don't get commission!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have very low tolerance for that type of book and find them difficult to read. Fiction is my poison of choice

      Delete
  2. I loved the first two. Especially John Green. Touched my heart in so many ways. I am trying to get Daniella to read it but she says she doesn't want to read a book about cancer! Trying to explain to her that it is about so much more.

    Gave the Helen Fielding a bash but just couldn't get into it. Must try again.

    Am currently reading The Cuckoo's Calling. Struggling but shall persevere. Robyn loved it (did you see her review - http://thebookclubblog.co.za/2014/05/monday-morning-reviews-2/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Fault in the stars. I want to read more of John Green's books. I just finished Foreign Fruit by Jojo Moyes...I gave it 3 stars. I think You before me spoiled it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said to the bookclub last week that often authors have that one brilliant book and the rest are good books. One almost have to forget that one or two brilliant books end enjoy the others on their own merit. Did you read "The girl you left behind?" Also brilliant

      Delete
  4. Love it when you talk books!!! Just finished "Me before you" and loved it, can't remember when last I did the ugly cry while reading. Downloaded "Fault in the stars" for my 13 year old, and she loved it. Insists now to get the hard copy to keep, trained her well it seems ; ))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charni- read it! It is really not just for teenagers. You will love it

      Delete
  5. I have read the Hunger Games trilogy when the first movie was released. Took me a while to get used to the writing style but I did enjoy it and had to read it all in a weekend. I do not know the others you refer to but I will keep an eye open for them. I love to read and I cannot imagine a day goes by in anyone's life without reading.
    For me so far I have enjoyed the Bryce Courtney books...it made me think but I had to have a break form the serious books so I relaxed with some Stephen King and I am currently reading the Clockwork Prince (teenie bopper fiction, but the Bryce Courtney took its toll on me with all the emotion and seriousness).
    Have you tried Khaled Hosseini...it is hard stuff to read but again, books that make you re-evaluate your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The power of one is still one of my favorite books. I loved the first two Khaled Hosseini books and the new one is waiting for me in the bookclub.

      Delete
  6. John Green's The Fault In Our Stars is in my top 3 best reads of 2013! Fabulous! Fantastic! Everyone should read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved all these books! Thought they were great, and John Green's writing is just beautiful! I am going to try his others….

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?