Wednesday 1 August 2012

A day at the Pretoria zoo

I have promised a picture post from mid July of our day at the zoo. It was truly a great way to spend the last day of the school holidays. It was a nice and warm (not hot) day and was just perfect. As we had the grandparents with us we opted to rent golf carts and my, was that fun for the kids. We also took the Princess' friend K along - a great decision as everyone had a friend for company. But without further ado, as always , better told in pictures:
We all loved the Kodiak bears and the boys both declared them their favorites.
One of the zoo's top attractions - the Koala bears and my personal favorite.
Checking out the Hippos
And just because you all loved the leopard in my original post, another one of him. Miss K's favorite of the day.



The flamingos are just fascinating and beautiful
The Princess' favorite - the Komodo dragons - one of only a few zoos in the world to host them.
It was just the perfect end to the holidays and to our time with Ouma and Oupa. So have you been to your local zoo lately? Did you know that the Pretoria zoo is one of the top 10 zoos in the world taking into account not only the environment etc but also research and breeding programs?

  and Parenting by Dummies for Wordful Wednesday

16 comments:

  1. Absoltely divine pictures....

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you sure you don't get commission from the zoo? :)

    We still need to do the zoo later this year. Did you find the carts hampering your photo-taking style, or not? I usually don't like to hold up the action by taking pics so I let people walk on ahead but for the zoo, how will that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rent the golf cart per hour, so you only keep your own family up with your photos and we were all very relaxed so no one minded at all.

      Delete
  3. They sure had a great time, looking at these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures. The flamingo is stunning. The kids sure looked like they had so much fun and the grandparents too. Interesting to see how tall they are compared to the animals, that must be a huge attraction for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We only first took the girls to the zoo last October, but we've been so many times since then! We just love it...the perfect family date, in my book.

    We took the girls on the first day of Daddy's summer break, at the end of May. We're going back on Friday, his last day before school starts.

    We've seen all the animals you pictured, with the exception of a koala. I want to see one so badly! I saw a piece on TV a couple of year ago...the handler was talking about how they will really "hug" a person, hanging on so tightly and warmly. I started asking the girls to give me a "koala hug", and they wrap their arms around me so tightly, usually just before bed. So sweet!

    And how special you got to share this trip with the grandparents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the flamingos! Haven't been to the zoo in ages! I guess when you have big kids there's no attraction! Surely adult kids could enjoy a trip? Might just have to get a bunch of friends together! Lovely post, what a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks like a great way to spend the day. I really must take Nicola to the zoo again soon, she was really too young to enjoy it the previous times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cat,

    Thanks for stopping past my blog, it's always nice to "meet""new" fellow bloggers. You have a beautiful family and I'm looking forward to following your happenings on the other side of SA. Do wish your bookclub was updated (I'm always looking for a good read) and loved your 365 photo idea. Might need to adopt that one for my blog too, but I think it's quite a tough challenge...

    Sue X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I am very behind on the Book club blog but you can always have a look in the side bar as to what I am reading. I do occasionally chat about books and reading here but if you tell me what genre's you like I will gladly make some suggesions.

      Delete
  9. WE have to go to the Pretoria Zoo as well! We don't even go enough to the Johannesburg Zoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do miss not having a zoo close by. Your photos are so beautiful Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully soon, we'll stop by the Zoo. Looks like you had loads of fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely trip! Loks like you all had fun. We love going to the zoo - it is such a treat for hte kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photo of the Flamingo, too! So unique!

    We are going to the zoo this weekend, too! the kids can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So jealous that you guys have such an awesome zoo. Our one is rubbish!
    LOVE the flamingo pic.

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?