Monday 21 November 2011

So when last did you go to the drive-in?

I have the memory of myself running around at the drive in in my jammies and gown as a little kid. Later as teenagers, it was always with someone else's parents - my mom never went. By the time I was dating, the golden days of the drive in was mostly over and Pretoria did not have many left.

Well, we did on Friday and my, was it great. Here in Pretoria we have a drive in theater on the top of the Men.lyn park shopping center - for the grand total of R63 per car. Our friends S and I regularly go with their kids and have taken the Princess along on occasion, but we last went before L walked. When they suggested we go on Friday afternoon, Hunter knew he had a not too late afternoon and we agreed.

We met in the food court for a quick dinner and parked next to each other for the viewing. The firts movie was "Hoodwinked 2" which the girls loved. Our two boys and their youngest all went to sleep in the back of the cars (we had the very back 3rd row down) about half way in. The other 3 girls watched it till it was over and after a visit to the ladies and a snack, went to sleep on the back seats.

Which was great - because we had quite a great movie for the adults to watch - "Anonymous" about the theory that Shakespeare did not actually exist. It is a great period drama and I loved it.

Will we go again? For sure  - if a kiddie adult combo shows again. What will we do differently? Pull the boot to the front for the kids and take our camping chairs and maybe take the bakkie (truck). And a flask of coffee - to help with staying awake through the second movie.

So when last were you at the drive -in? And would you consider it in a safe and clean environment?

15 comments:

  1. wow, I have not been in years. I remember going with my parents but it must have been before my sister was born, so before I was 9. Quite a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent been to th drivein since I was a kid. Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not been in YEARS! D and I went once early in our marriage and of course, I fell asleep.

    Remember I'm the girl who can't make it through even 1 movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you had a great time.
    The last time I was at a drive-in was in 2002. The Atlas one which closed down just outside Kempton Park. When me and hubby dated more than 10 years ago, we used to go there a lot.
    Now, we don't anymore. Menlyn's one, we did not visit that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't been in years...and I don't even think my children have ever had the experience. I loved it...but we don't have any drive in's in PE anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went about 8 years ago with my DH and LOVED the experience. I don't think that the drive-in is there anymore though. Must find out so we can go again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When someone mentions the drive-in I always get "Oh please daddy won't you take me to the drive-in?" stuck in my mind for at least the next hour :)
    It sounds like fun! Do they have a website where you can check whats showing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man we had one in Kuilsrivier and we used to sneak in during highschool with our sleeping bags and booze. It unfortunately closed around 1995. I loved it and would love to see it make a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been to the Menlyn one and loved it. My only problem is I fall asleep really easily when watching a movie. I've fallen asleep in the movie theatre (during Lord of the Rings of all movies). Long story short, I didn't make it through the second movie at the drive in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Fiona - yes - http://www.menlynpark.co.za/drivein.htm

    ReplyDelete
  11. We went half way through my pregnancy, only downfall was heartburn and I made K run to Seattle for some steamy vanilla milk for me.

    Bakkie is an absolute must!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used to go to Veldskoen drive-in in Randburg. Lots of childhood memories there. Pity I just heard they closed down. :(
    And I dont know of any drive-ins in Cape Town.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been to the drive in since being in Gauteng so 12+ years!!

    Think we need to add this to our list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have actually never been to the drive-in before,but think I will put it on my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Up to couple of years ago I went fairly often. We used to go in groups of about 20 students and we'd pack one of those little portable braais and camping chairs and of course plenty of alcohol. I think if you're not by yourself it's probably safe enough - not sure if i'd do it on my own with Nicola though.

    ReplyDelete

So what's on your mind?